Thursday, November 20, 2008

Prize Giving Speech

Here is the Speech as Tammy has practised it. We will probably leave out the sections on "What happens in the rest of the world affects us" to "Zimbabwe" Tammy understands these, but finds them a bit confusing. I am afraid that if she gets nervous, she might become muddled. Hopefully she will manage on the rest on the big night. (I put in brackets on the top of each sections, the aids she will be using for this show and tell.)
(My Secret Unicorn)
1. HELLO EVERYBODY!
2. Thank you for coming to my prize giving.
3. I would like to tell you about some of the things that I have learned this year.
4. I have improved my ability to read.
5. I have read My Secret Unicorn “Dreams come true”.
6. It is about a pony called Shadow.
7. He was too afraid to jump until the unicorn touched him with his horn.
8. That made him braver..
9. In the end Shadow won the jumping competition.

(Sheet with sums, Excel spread sheet, Adverts of milk + braai, Fraction sheet, Temperature Chart., Thermometer.
1. I have also improved my ability to do sums.
2. I know the 2,3,4,5, and 9 times tables.
3. I can divide and add with ones and tens.
4. I can count money and work on excel.
5. I understand prices. The price of this milk is R13.99, but it actually costs R14. The price of this braai is R999, but is actually costs R1000.
6. I understand fractions like ½ and ¼.
7. ½ = .5 and ¼ - .25
8. I understand what higher and lower temperatures are.
9. The hottest school days so far were on 10 September and 14 October. It was 36 degrees on both those days.
10. Right now the temperature is (Read thermometer)

(Pictures, Email and blog printouts, alphabet, dictionary, "number plates")
1. I have learned how to use a computer.
2. I type with the correct fingers.
3. I have my own e-mail address
4. I have my own two blogs: Tamerins’ diary and Tamerin’s Bible verses.
5. I have learned the alphabet.
6. I can look up a word in the dictionary.
7. I also know that cars with x number plates are newer than cars with W number plates.
8. Cars with XS number plates are very new.

(Globe, Wall map of South Africa)
1. I have learned about the countries of the world.
2. Here is South Africa, Britain, France, the United States of America, Russia.
3. The Olympic Games were held in Beijing China.
4. I also know the map of South Africa – especially the road to Durban.
5. Johannesburg, Heidelberg, Harrismith, Pietermarizburg, and Durban.
6. The maps have helped me to understand what is happening in the world or what happened in the past.

(Picture + Earth Globe)
1. For instance Jan van Riebeeck came from Holland to the Cape 2. to build a castle and to make a vegetable garden.
3. Fresh vegetables were needed for the sailors on their way from Holland to India.
4. The journeys took a very long time.
5. Without vegetables they got sick.

(Pictures + wall map of South Africa)
1. The Voortrekkers were farmers from the Eastern Cape who moved north
2. because they had had trouble with the Xhosas
3. and the British government did not help them.
4. Louis Trichard trekked to Mpumalanga, but most of his people died of malaria.
5. Malaria is a sickness caused by mosquitoes.
6. Piet Retief moved to Kwazulu-Natal.
7. However, the British annexed Kwazulu-Natal so the Voortrekkers had to move back over the Drakensberg mountains again.
8. In the end they could govern themselves in the Free State and in North-West, Limpopo, Gauteng and Mpumalanga.

("Plastic containers" for businesses + rows of men + pictures of U.S. Dollars)
1. What happens in the rest of the world affects us.
2. People from the United States used to invest in South Africa.
3. Their businesses created work for South Africans.
4. But now the banks in the United States do not have enough money. People from the United States no longer want to invest in South Africa
5. That means that there are fewer jobs for our people.
6. If people do not have work, they do not have money to spend.
7. That means the businesses where they would have spent their money have to close down.
8. The people who worked for those firms then also lose their jobs and their money.
9. In this way more and more people lose their jobs and their money and become poor.

(Graph, adverts of houses, cars, food, Pic of Obama)
1. Prices go up all the time.
2. It is called inflation.
3. In 2004 this magazine cost R29.
4. Now 4 years later, it costs R38. That is R9 more!
5. Many people can no longer afford to buy cars or houses or even food.
6. We hope the new president of the United States will sort out their money problems.
7. The new president is Barack Obama.

(Pictures, wall map, fleeing men)
1. There are even more poor people in Zimbabwe.
2. The president of Zimbabwe is Robert Mugabe. He is a bad man.
3. His people are hungry because they do not produce enough food on their farms.
4. The farmers and their workers were chased away from the farms.
5. The shelves in the shops are empty and even when there is food, the people are too poor to buy the food.
6. Inflation is very, very high in Zimbabwe. This man is carrying a lot of money, but it is worth only R1000.
7. You need at least 3 billion dollars to buy a pair of pants.
8. Most people in Zimbabwe do not have jobs.
9. That is why they flee to South Africa.
10. That makes our problems worse.

(Pictures, wall map, poster of Southern Right whale)
1. In September we went to Hermanus.
2. Hermanus is close to Cape Town.
3. It is one of the best places to watch whales.
4. I have learnt much about the Southern Right Whale.
5. The whales come all the way from Antartica to our coast every spring. They come to have their babies.
6. The Southern Right whale is a baleen whale and
7. it eats about 400 kg of plankton and krill a day.
8. It exhales a V-shaped cloud of vapour.
9. An average Southern Right whale is 15 metres long.
10. They are very big and I enjoyed seeing them in the Indian Ocean at Hermanus.

(Calendar, Printed out Register, photo of Kaolin, gym photos)
1. Everyday I fill in the weather forecast on my calendar.
2. Today it is …………….. (sunny/ partly cloudy / cloudy) with a ……….% chance of rain.
3. I also fill in the register and keep a record of our outings and visits. Kaolin has visited us 29 times. We have been to the gym 20 times
4. I go to the gym to get fit and to improve my tummy muscles.
5. I like the Express Abs class and the rowing machines and the cycles.
6. My cycling has improved from 1.5 km to 3.5 km in 10 minutes.

(Pictures, recipe, skirt, Bible files)
1. I have improved my ability to cook.
2. I can read a recipe. I can cook a meal for my family.
3. I have sewn this skirt and………...
4. I have made several birthday cards. They are in my portfolio.
5. We read the Bible every day.
6. I write down the Bible verses and illustrate them.
7. You can have a look at my illustrations in my Bible files.
8. I look up the Bible verses myself.

Finally, my dear guests, I would like to tell you a very important Bible story: the story of how Jesus was born.

1 comment:

Miekie said...

Oops! Grammar mistakes! Can't open edit. Sorry!